We all probably have that one airport near us that we try our best not to book from because it’s so incredibly expensive for no reason. Well, a recent study from FinanceBuzz reviewed the average airfares of domestic flights from 45 of the busiest airports in the US and found the most expensive airports that you’ll likely want to avoid.
So, which airports are the most expensive to fly out of?
- Virginia’s Dulles International Airport (IAD) with an average ticket cost of $494
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with an average ticket cost of $456
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) with an average ticket cost of $444
- Portland International Airport (PDX) with an average ticket cost of $425
- Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) with an average ticket cost of $425
Last year, only two airports, IAD and SFO, saw average airfare costs surpass $400. However, this year, the report revealed that 11 additional airports joined the “over $400 club.” The study also revealed the least expensive airports to travel from, and two of them are located in Florida.
So, if you’re looking to save some money on airfare, remember to avoid those wallet-draining airports and maybe start planning your vacations around the more budget-friendly options, if possible to reach. We recommend signing up for flight alerts from your favorite airports so you never miss a travel deal.