Since I live at the beach, I prep for July 4th by double parking my car so friends can come over, then forget about where we’re parked several days later because we stay put. But I know not everyone is on island time like moi, so listen up. Here’s what to expect this year and how to make the most of your Independence Day travels.
Traveling by car
With a projected 43.2 million people hitting the roads, driving remains the favored mode of transportation. Gas prices are down approximately 30% from last year, making it more affordable. Here’s how to make your road travels stress-free:
- Plan ahead: Map out your route, check for road closures, and be aware of any construction or traffic updates.
- Avoid peak hours: Opt for early mornings or late evenings to minimize traffic congestion.
- Utilize technology: Make use of traffic apps, Department of Transportation notifications, and 511 services for real-time updates.
- Pack essentials: Ensure your car is well-maintained, carry necessary documents, and have emergency supplies on hand.
Traveling by plane
Approximately 4.17 million Americans are expected to take to the skies, with domestic airfare dropping more than 27% since last year. However, international travelers should be cautious of higher fares to Europe. But don’t worry, there are still ways to make your air travel stress-free:
- Book in advance: Secure your flights early to get the best deals and ensure seat availability.
- Arrive early: Allow ample time for check-in, security, and potential delays, especially during peak travel days.
- Pack wisely: Familiarize yourself with TSA regulations and pack essentials in your carry-on for a hassle-free journey.
Increasing numbers of travelers are opting for buses, cruises, and trains, with a projected 24% increase from last year. If you opt for one of these alternative modes of transportation, take our advice:
- Research your options: Explore alternative transportation modes, such as scenic train routes or relaxing cruises, for a unique and enjoyable experience.
- Check schedules and availability: Ensure you have reservations and understand departure and arrival times to avoid any last-minute surprises.