If, like me, you were glued to the TV as a kid when the Olympics were on, I have exciting news for you. Airbnb is offering the chance to stay in the childhood home of Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympics.
The Château de Mirville is where Coubertin developed his love of sports and was eventually inspired to create the modern Games as we know them today. The estate will also be an iconic stop on the torch relay in 2024.
The historic home has been restored to its former glory thanks to the help of the International Olympic Committee and Airbnb’s Heritage and Local Tourism program. With the restoration, guests will enjoy:
- The opportunity to play with n°1 French professional tennis player Caroline Garcia on the grounds where one of the first games of lawn tennis was supposedly played in France
- A private tour of the entire estate by your Host, Coubertin’s great grand nephew, Jacques
- A punt on the lake where Coubertin developed his love of rowing, followed by a picnic of French delicacies on a specially constructed floating pontoon
- An immersion into the origins of the Olympics including exclusive access to historic memorabilia
- A selection of items from the latest Olympic Collection named in honor of Pierre de Coubertin
How to book
Coubertin’s great grand-nephew will host the stay for one night only, on July 18. It will cost €24 in honor of the upcoming 2024 Paris Olympics.
Be ready at 6:00 PM CET on airbnb.com/coubertin to book your stay. The maximum occupancy is two people and guests are responsible for their own transportation to France.
Good luck—I hope you win the gold!